Andrew - St. Peter and St. Paul Ukrainian Orthodox Church

120 km northeast of Edmonton or 45 km northwest of Two Hills

Lamont County (5110 - 52 Avenue, Andrew)

Coordinates:53.881358, -112.335743

Andrew, Alberta

The St. Peter and St. Paul Ukrainian Orthox Church had its early beginnings during the mid-1930s.

8 km south of Andrew is the area called Suchava. Here one finds the St. Michael's Russo-Greek Orthodox Church. During the mid-1930s, there were internal conflicts between parish members on who was to service the parish (Russian Orthodox or Ukrainian Orthodox priests).The minority group that supported the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada left St. Michael's Church to create their own parish. They eventually bought some land across the road from St. Michael and established St. John of Suchava Ukrainian Orthodox parish.

Financial difficulties prevented the parishioners to initially build a proper church. In addition, a small number of these parishioners were in favour of building the church in Andrew. The Suchava church was completed in the Spring, 1935.

At the same time, plans were being done to build a church in Andrew. Work began on the Church on July 1939. (1) Ivan Mnoholity oversaw the general construction. (2) It took several years to finish the structure. The Church was officially consecrated by Metropolitan Ilarion in June 1952.

Oriented on the east-west axis, the church is designed on a central longitudinal cruciform plan following Byzantine traditions. The church has one main dome. In addition, there are additional cupolas - three of which adorn the front facade. The site is located in the residential area of town.

One enters the narthex through a small vestibule under the choir loft. The narthex leads into the nave with north and south transepts and a chancel on a raised floor. Within the chancel there is the sanctuary that surrounds the altar. In addition, there are two identical sacristies located north and south of the crossing - however there are no individual entrances from the exterior. The sanctuary has a three-tier iconostasis. In addition, the Church's basement contains a dining hall.

A large drum fixture rises from the intersection of the roofs over the nave. The structure then supports a high octagonal (onion-shaped) dome. A large wrought iron cross sits on top of the dome. There are also a cross on each of the cupolas.

The interior is painted in white and blue. In 1959, Vadim Dobrolidge painted the iconostasis.

In the mid-1980s, a metal bell-tower stand was built. This stand supports the metal bell from the defunct Zawale parish.(3)