Borschiw - St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church

90 kilometers southeast from Sherwood Park; 35 kilometers northeast to Vegreville

Beaver County (SE-10-51-16-W4)/b>

Coordinates:53.3873,-112.28445

Borschiw, Alberta

During the early 1900s, many individuals from the Borshchivskyi District in Western Ukraine settled around Haight, Alberta (train station - no longer exists)

In 1903, Father Platonid Filas, OSBM, gathered together various individuals from this area to form a parish. The grou[ was able to raise enough money to purchase 40 acres of land for a church and cemetery. (1)

Some problems followed with regard to the parish incorporation. There was a minority of individuals who expressed their belief in that the parish be incorporated under a different denomination. It was not until 1918 that the incorporation issue was resolved. (2)

In 1905, work began on the construction of the first wooden church. Total cost of construction was $1500. There were problems during this time. Various carpenters were need over time to complete construction. (3)

Over time, the area became prosperous. In 1939, work began on the construction of a larger church. The new church was built on the site of the old church. Harry Holowaychuk was responsible for its construction. Total cost of construction was $9000. (4)

Oriented on the east-west axis, the church is designed on a central longitudinal cruciform plan following Byzantine traditions. The church has one large dome plus 4 smaller domes. The site is surrounded by flat arable land, second or third-generation trees. The church's dimensions are 80 feet long and 30 feet wide.

One enters the narthex through a small vestibule under the choir loft. The narthex leads into the nave with north and south transepts and a chancel on a raised floor. Each transept has its individual entrances from the exterior. Within the chancel there is the sanctuary that surrounds the altar. In addition, there are two identical sacristies located north and south of the crossing with individual entrances from the exterior. There is no iconostasis.

A large drum fixture rises from the intersection of the roofs over the nave. The structure then supports a high octagonal (onion-shaped) dome. A large wrought iron cross sits on top of the dome. There are two (2) medium sized domes over the nathrex and two(2) smaller domes by the entrance door.

The interior is heavily decorated with a variety of stenciling and icons. Peter (Petro) Lipinski did all the artistic paintings and decorations for the Church in 1947.

The sanctuary has four(4) large columns and a crown on its main table.

In 1950, a stone belfry with two (2) bells stands at the entrance to the church yard.

A church hall that is located on church property.