Kahwin - Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Church

130 km northeast of Edmonton or 15 km northeast of Anrew

Lamont County (SW-2-58-16-W4)

Andrew, Alberta

The Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthox Church had its early beginnings during the late 1920s.A group of pro-Ukrainian parishioners from the Holy Trinity Russian Greek Orthodox Church (Sunland) wanted to join the newly formed Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. In 1929; a court case arose over the ownership and affiliation of the Sunland church. The pro-Ukrainian group lost the court case. As a result, they decided to leave the Sunland parish. (1)

In 1931; the group purchased several acres of land about 1 kilometre west of the Sunland church. On this land, therewas already a cemetery that was established by the Presbyterian - backed Independent Church in the early 1900s.

The first church was built under the direction of Ivan Mnoholitny (an area contractor) in 1932. The original church was destroyed by fire in 1933. In 1934, work began under the supervision of Ivan Mnoholitny on the second (and current) church.(2)

Oriented on the east-west axis, the church is designed on a central longitudinal cruciform plan following Byzantine traditions. The church has one main dome. In addition, there are two cupolas that adorn the front facade. The site is surrounded by flat arable land, second or third-generation trees. Also, the site is located about 15 kilometers northeast from the town of Andrew.

One enters the narthex through a small vestibule under the choir loft. The narthex leads into the nave with north and south transepts and a chancel on a raised floor. Each transept has its individual entrances from the exterior. Within the chancel there is the sanctuary that surrounds the altar. In addition, there are two identical sacristies located north and south of the crossing with individual entrances from the exterior. The sanctuary has a three-tier iconostasis.

A large drum fixture rises from the intersection of the roofs over the nave. The structure then supports a high octagonal (onion-shaped) dome. The dome and cupolas are covered with a bronze-coloured metal. This is one of the few rural churches that has this colour=covering. A large wrought iron cross sits on top of the dome. There are also a cross on each of the cupolas.

The interior is painted in white and blue. In 1960, William Sawchuk painted the iconostasis.

An open bell-tower stands by the Church.