Kaleland Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Sts. Peter and Paul

44 km. northeast of Vegreville or 14 km. northwest of Two Hills

Two Hills County(SW-16-55-13-W4)

Kaleland, Alberta

The Kaleland Parish was formed from the political tensions that were occuring between the opposing Russophile and Ukrainophile groups at the neighbouring Szypenitz Russo Greek Orthodox Church. In February 16 1917; the pro-Ukrainian faction separated from the parish and established the Sts. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Orthodox Church. It was the first parish to be considered as a "Ukrainian Congregation of the Eastern Orthodox Church".

Nickolai Olynyk and Michael Grekul each donated two (2) acres of land for the new church and cemetery. Due to the problems of mysterious fires that had happened at the Szypenitz Church, it was decided that the new church was to be built out of fieldstone. These stones were hauled from John Orleski's farm. John Shandro and Herbert Lefe worked as stone masons on the church walls. Nick Hrehirchuk was responsible for building the roof. Harry Osietski (well-known church builder) constructed the domes for the roof.(1)

The church was officially registered with the Alberta Societies Act on June 20, 1917. The first service was held on the patron saints' day (July 12, 1917) - with Reverand Gregory Soroka from New York officiating at the dedication. (2)

In 1965, a new iconostasis was built by Mike Chrapko. Vadim Dobrolige from Edmonton painted the icons. (3)

---------------------

Oriented on the east-west axis, the church does not following traditional Byzantine traditions. This building has an apse, with three various size domes over the length of the structure. The building has a common fieldstone pattern, rounded windows on the east and west sides. In addition, there are two small domes on each side of the front wall of the structure. The site is surrounded by flat arable land.

The entrance is located on the west side of the building. One enters the narthex through a small vestibule under the choir loft. The narthex leads into the nave and a chancel on a raised floor. Within the chancel there is the sanctuary that surrounds the altar. There is a 3-tiered iconostasis.

A bell tower is located by the church.