New Kiew Holy Ascension Ukrainian Catholic Church

16 km. from Lavoy or Two Hills

Minburn County (NW-22-53-13-W4)

Coordinates: 53.59356667,-111.8442167

New Kiew, Alberta

The first Ukrainian settlers came to New Kiew area in 1901. In 1903, the first Ukrainian Catholic Parish was organized under the name of Ukrainian Catholic Church of St. Nicholas. It was located several kilometers from the current site. In 1910, a small chapel. However, personal conflict between various parishioners resulted in this church being closed. Eventually both the church and the adjoining cemetery were abandoned.

A new parish was formed and incorporated in 1918 under the chapter: The Ruthenian Greek-Catholic Parish of Holy Ascension. The church was built in 1918 and blessed in May 1920. Hryhori (Harry) Osiecki was responsible for church construction.(1)

The site contains both the church and a cemetery. Oriented on the east-west axis, the church is designed on a central longitudinal cruciform plan following Byzantine traditions. The church (53’ x 40’) has one dome. The site is surrounded by flat arable land, second or third-generation trees and bushes and windbreaks.

The entrance is gained into the narthex through a small vestibule under the choir loft. The narthex leads into the nave with north and south transepts and a chancel on a raised floor. Each transept has its individual entrances from the exterior. Within the chancel there is the sanctuary that surrounds the altar. In addition, there are two identical sacristies located north and south of the crossing with individual entrances from the exterior. There is no iconostasis.

A large drum fixture rises from the intersection of the roofs over the nave. The structure then supports a high octagonal dome which meets at the apex. This assembly resembles a lantern topped with a small onion-shaped dome and a wrought iron cross. In addition, there are 4 crosses on the roofs - each located at a east, west, north and south direction.

The interior is heavily decorated with a variety of stenciling and icons. In 1919, Peter (Petro) Lipinski did all the artistic paintings and decorations for the Church.