Plain Lake Holy Trinity Ukrainian Catholic Church

35 km. northeast of Vegreville or 85 km. southeast of Lamont

Two Hills County (NE-16-53-12-W4)

Plain_Lake, Alberta

The parish had its early beginnings around 1904. During this time, land was set aside for a church and cemetery and the Basilian Fathers from Mundare held church service at various private homes.

In 1910, a small log church was built. However, it soon became apperent that there was need to build a larger building.

Work began in the construction of the present Church in 1926. In 1927, Harry Osetski (master builder) completed the inside construction. In 1937, Peter (Petro) Lipinski completed painting all the icons and walls. At the same time, the exterior walls and the dome were done.(1) The church was officially blessed in 1932. The old church was completely dismantled by 1938.

Oriented on the east-west axis, the church is designed on a central longitudinal cruciform plan following Byzantine traditions. The church has one main and two (2) small domes. The site is surrounded by flat arable land, second or third-generation trees. Also, the site is located about 15 kilometers from Two Hills, Alberta.

One enters the narthex through a small vestibule under the choir loft. The narthex leads into the nave with north and south transepts and a chancel on a raised floor. Each transept has its individual entrances from the exterior. Within the chancel there is the sanctuary that surrounds the altar. In addition, there are two identical sacristies located north and south of the crossing with individual entrances from the exterior. There is no iconostasis.

A large drum fixture rises from the intersection of the roofs over the nave. The structure then supports a high octagonal (onion-shaped) dome. A large wrought iron cross sits on top of the dome. In addition, there are two (2) smaller dome structures supported over the entrance area.

The interior is heavily decorated with a variety of stenciling and icons. As mentioned, Peter (Petro) Lipinski did all the artistic paintings and decorations for the Church.

There is an enclosed bell-tower by the church. In 1938, the parish hall was built.