Round Hill - Transfiguration of Our Lord Ukrainian Catholic Church

30 kilometers northeast of Camrose

Beaver County (SW-24-48-19-W4)

Roundhill, Alberta

During the late 1890's, many immigrants from the Bukovina area of Ukraine began to settle on lands to the southeast of Edmonton. At the same time, a Basilian Order missionary arrived in this area from Ukraine.

In January 1903; individuals from the Roundhill district gathered together at Makar Sherbaniuk's home. In attendance, Father Sozant Dydyk celebrated first mass with the attendees.

A few months later, Father Dydyk filed for land as a homesteader. The government agreed that some of the land could be used for church purposes.Work was begun during the summer by Ignas Kalawsky to build a small wood frame church. It was completed and blessed by Father Dydyk on August 19, 1904. In 1905, a priest's residence and bell tower were constructed. Also, a portion of the land was set aside for a cemetery. The parish was incorporated in 1908. (1)

Since Father Dydyk could not fulfill his obligations to improve the land, he had to return it to the government. He suggested that the Church parish to file on 40 acres for church purposes. On April 21, 1909; the province of Alberta gifted the land to the parish.(2)

In 1906; there were conflicts between various parish members. It resulted in the church being incorporated under the Roman Catholic Bishop Legal of St. Albert. In 1912; the church reverted back to the Ukrainian Catholic fold when Bishop Nicholas Budka came to Canada. During this time several members left the parish. By 1922, they tried to establish a All Saints Ukrainian Orthodox parish - but it did not last long. (Note - information on this topic is very minimal.) (3)

In 1925, the current church was built. It was built by Yarema Yanishewski. It was larger in size (72 by 40 feet) built in form of a cross. It also had a high central cupola with two small cupolas in front. During this time, a new bell tower was built housing the original bell from the first bell tower. The old church was used as a community hall until 1942. (4)

During this time, Peter (Petro) Lipinski completed painting all the icons on the walls. In 1961; Theodore Baran and his daughter repainted the church interior. They painted a large icon behind the altar, four (4) icons on the dome, and four (4) icons on the dome corners. Also, they did a large ceiling icon. In addition, the wall were repainted.

Oriented on the east-west axis, the church is designed on a central longitudinal cruciform plan following Byzantine traditions. The church has one large dome plus two (2) small cupolas. The site is surrounded by flat arable land, second or third-generation trees.

One enters the narthex through a small vestibule under the choir loft. The narthex leads into the nave with north and south transepts and a chancel on a raised floor. Each transept has its individual entrances from the exterior. Within the chancel there is the sanctuary that surrounds the altar. In addition, there are two identical sacristies located north and south of the crossing with individual entrances from the exterior. There is no iconostasis.

A large drum fixture rises from the intersection of the roofs over the nave. The structure then supports a high octagonal (onion-shaped) dome. A large wrought iron cross sits on top of the dome.The church bell was originally purchased in 1905. A wooden bell tower is located next to the church.